Instrumental Music Instructors
Ms. Ashley Bridgewater, Band Director and CoachYou can contact her at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashley Bridgewater received her undergraduate degree in Music Education from Temple University in Philadelphia, PA in 2008. It was there that she learned methodologies in teaching concert band instruments in addition to her training on her main instruments clarinet and voice. Ms. Bridgewater’s first two years of teaching were in the Philadelphia area before moving to NYC in 2010 where she taught music for 5 years. Within the past 10 years, she has had experience teaching band, chorus and general music. While in New York she also helped facilitate a grant with Jazz at Lincoln Center that provided instruments and music instruction to students. During this time she had the opportunity to work alongside teaching artists to teaching sections while also helping develop new beginning band curriculum and gaining experience leading jazz and concert band.
In 2015 Ashley began her MA in Mindfulness Studies at Lesley University, MA, coming to San Diego to complete an internship at UCSD Center for Mindfulness while completing her thesis project. During 2018/2019 Ashley spent a year infusing Mindfulness concepts, through movement and sensory awareness, into the music classroom. She is thrilled for the opportunity to return to teaching instrumental music at Ada Harris Elementary and serving as Director for the Wildcat Band!
Marilyn Shaygan, Flute Instructor
Marilyn Swindler Shayegan is a graduate of The Juilliard School. She was Principal Flute in the Tehran Symphony under the auspices of the US Peace Corps. She has played command performances for the Shah of Iran and President Richard M Nixon. She has performed in orchestras, chamber groups, recitals, musicals and jazz groups. She has taught flute for over 50 years.
Ms. Isabelle Zapata, Advanced Percussion Instructor
Info coming soon.Evan Walsh, Trumpet Instructor
Evan Walsh is a freelance trumpet player, teaching artist, and music contractor in Southern California. Evan studied trumpet as a Cole Scholar at the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music at California State University Long Beach and holds a degree in music business from Full Sail University. During his first year at CSULB, Evan received an honorable mention in the Yamaha Young Performing Artists Competition and in 2015 won an opportunity to perform in the first annual Future Session Players Clinic at the Sony Scoring Stage. Evan has performed with the Young Musicians Foundation Debut Orchestra, Young Artist Symphony Orchestra, American Youth Symphony, Kaleidoscope Chamber Orchestra, the Palisades Symphony, and the Southern California Brass Consortium. In the pit, Evan has performed with San Diego Musical Theatre, Lamb's Players Theatre, and Moonlight Stage Productions. Evan performs regularly for Disneyland, The San Diego Zoo, and SeaWorld San Diego.In addition to performing, Evan also has a private studio in La Jolla, CA and has been a Teaching Artist for Muirlands Middle School, the Young Musicians Foundation, Mission Bay Montessori Academy, the Anaheim City School District, San Diego Unified School District, Arcadia Unified School District, and the Los Angeles Unified School District. Music is important on many levels in life. Music helps develop self-discipline, aids the brain to learn and process academic skills, and is a catalyst in creativity both individually and in a group. Because of these benefits of music and the fact that music is such a vital and integral part of his life, Evan wants to promote music to others through teaching, mentoring, and giving educational concerts and workshops. What Evan enjoys most about teaching is that it gives him the opportunity to inspire others to be creative.Kaelyn Henderson, Low Brass Specialist
Kaelyn Henderson has been a freelance trombonist in the San Diego, Los Angeles and greater Phoenix area for 10 years. Mrs. Henderson studied as a Cole Scholar at the Bob Cole Conservatory of Music at California State University, Long Beach where she received her Bachelor of Music degree in Trombone Performance. Kaelyn enjoyed performing in the University Symphony Orchestra, Wind Symphony, Brass Ensemble, and University Brass Quintet. She was additionally a featured soloist in the Conservatory Student Showcase in 2015.
Kaelyn has performed with the Dana Point Symphony, Sonoran Brass Quintet, and Desert Foothills Theater as well as performing alongside members from Pacific Symphony, Arizona Opera, Phoenix Symphony, Tucson Symphony, & San Diego Symphony. While in Arizona, she had the opportunity to start thousands of children on brass instruments at elementary schools all over the greater Phoenix area. Kaelyn believes music is an integral part of a student’s development & is excited to help young minds develop a passion for music.Gregory Bannister
- From Philadelphia area (Chester, PA) – Classically trained clarinetist in grade school. Studied with Claire Fitzpatrick, Dallas Fitzsimmons, J. Robert Bennett and Rudy Defelice.
- Broadway Musicals: My Fair Lady/Carnival/Bye Bye Birdie (Clarinet/Bass Clarinet)
- Member of Pennsylvania District, Regional & State Bands in High School (Clarinet)
- Member of the Duquesne University Mid-East All Star High School Band (Clarinet/Bass Clarinet)
- Toured Europe with US State Department sponsored School Orchestra of America conducted by Dr. Frederick Fennell (Clarinet)
- Attended Drexel University on Music Scholarship –studied Mathematics/Computer Science and participated in University Orchestra, Concert Band & Jazz/Rock Ensemble ( Clarinet/Sax/Flute)
- Self-taught on Tenor Sax, Soprano Sax & Flute.
- Studied with Justo Almario, LA studio musician and saxophone instructor/lecturer in the Jazz Department at the UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music.
- Comfortable in Jazz Ensemble/Combo, Big Band, Concert Band, R&B, Pop, Classical & Contemporary Christian Music settings
- Settled in Southern California after college, but spent 2006-14 in the Twin Cities [Minneapolis/St. Paul]. Played Tenor Sax/Clarinet Lead chair with the Chuck Beasley Big Band (in the style of the Count Basie Orchestra)
- Currently gig with Lester Abrams [composer of “Minute by Minute” by the Dooby Brothers], Leigh Taylor [The Tribal Elders] and Al Cablay [Light the Night].
- Volunteer services in various music ministry settings for local church and parachurch venues, such as Celebrate Recovery, San Diego Rescue Mission, church coffee house outreaches, prison fellowships, halfway house ministries, homeless ministries, etc.
- Woodwind/Jazz Band Coach in the San Marcos Unified School District