- Providing students with opportunities to invent, tinker, make, test and refine in order to foster the development of design thinking.
- Connecting the makerspace to real world problems. This may include challenging students to engineer solutions to defined problems in the local neighborhood community or other areas of the world.
- Creating solutions based on background knowledge, research, and empathy for the end user.
- Allowing for open-ended exploration and student choice/ideas developing children’s ownership in a student centered learning environment.
- Communicating and collaborating with peers to refine and improve solutions.
- Designing with an interdisciplinary mindset.
- Sharing and celebrating successes and failures with an authentic audience.