Students in the Learning Lab are assessed and placed into appropriately structured small group settings. There are usually 2 - 4 students with one reading instructor. Students are grouped according to their reading levels and skills that will be targeted. The group's instructional intensity depends on the individual needs of the students in that group.
The Learning Lab enriches students' reading skills with explicit instruction in five key areas of reading:
- Phonemic Awareness: the ability to hear, identify, and manipulate sounds in spoken words
- Phonics: the relationship between the letters of written language and the sounds of spoken language
- Fluency: the ability to read accurately with speed, expression and understanding
- Vocabulary: the words students must know in order to comprehend
- Comprehension: the ability to understand and gain meaning from material read
The Learning Lab strives to intensify instruction and provide the extra needed support to accelerate reading progress.