November 13, 2018
Thank you to the parents who have already conferenced with their child and me. I look forward to meeting with the rest of you. You should all be very proud of your child/children as they all worked hard to prepare for a student-led conference.
This week in math we will work on the last 6 multiplication facts! Now that the students know their 2’s, 10’s, 5’s, 4’s, square facts and 9’s, only 6 are left: 3 x 6, 3 x 7, 3 x 8, 6 x 7, 6 x 8, and 7 x 8. We will discuss strategies to help figure out the answers to these equations. We will also look at rounding numbers. During writers’ workshop we will continue with the narratives we’ve been writing. Hopefully we can get these to publication.
Please save your grocery store food ads and send them to class when you are finished with them. After fall break, the students will be working on a meal planning activity and will need to use the ads to plan a complete meal for 10 people, calculate the cost and stay within a budget. You can prepare your child for this activity by explaining how you determine what items and quantities you need to plan a big meal. Thanksgiving is a great time to explore this!
Dates to keep in mind:
- 11/13-16, Conference week, dismissal 12:15
- Fri, 11/16, Awards assembly, Crazy Hair Day
- 11/19-11/23, Fall break, no school
- Sat, 12/1, Encinitas Holiday Parade
- Fri, 12/21, Awards assembly, Spirit Day--Pajama and Stuffed Animal Day
- 12/24-1/4, Winter break, no school
- Mon, 1/7, school resumes, K starts full day
Have a great week!